rionafaith

Connie Willis
Lonely Planet: Southeast Asia on a shoestring
China Williams, Greg Bloom, Celeste Brash, Andrew Burke
Fodor's See It Thailand 2008
Fodor's Travel Publications Inc.
Special Topics in Calamity Physics - Marisha Pessl **This review may contain some slight spoilers, because I don't know how to write about this book without hinting at some things. You've been warned.**

I have so many questions!

So this is ostensibly a murder mystery, sort of, but it's unlike anything remotely related to that genre that I've ever read. First of all, it doesn't get mysterious at all until after the first hundred or so pages, and no one dies until over halfway through. It's more of a coming-of-age story with some awesome conspiracy elements, or possibly the ravings of a delusional, grieving teenager with an overactive imagination. You pick!

Another thing that makes this different is the lack of conclusion. Unlike most whodunits, here we never actually find out who dun it. There are probably as many red herrings as real clues, and the case is never wrapped up in a tidy bow. For every answer we get, there are a dozen more questions. It should be immensely frustrating, but somehow it isn't. Usually an ending like this would tempt me to throw a book across the room, but I felt strangely satisfied after turning the last page. I don't know. Writing a novel this unique, when so much literature is so formulaic these days, must have been super risky, but something about it just works.

I also totally want to read all the books that the chapter titles are named after now, as well as all the other works alluded to. It's a loooong list!