rionafaith

Connie Willis
Lonely Planet: Southeast Asia on a shoestring
China Williams, Greg Bloom, Celeste Brash, Andrew Burke
Fodor's See It Thailand 2008
Fodor's Travel Publications Inc.
Breakfast at Tiffany's and Three Stories - Truman Capote So I have somehow gone my entire life without ever seeing the movie version of Breakfast at Tiffany's, but I did see the play on Broadway a few months ago. I'd heard the stage version was much truer to the book than the movie, so I figured I should get around to reading it.

This is a slim little novella, so it didn't take more than an hour or two. I enjoyed it, and I understand why it's a classic, and... maybe it's just because I knew the story already (because the play was pretty true to the book), but somehow I expected something more. Still, it's a little dark, pretty funny, and Holly is a great, complicated character. She's awful and selfish exciting and sympathetic and fun. She fascinated me.

The edition I got from the library also includes 3 of Capote's short stories. I haven't read those yet, but will update when I do!

***

Update 5/17/13:

So I've read the short stories! I sometimes have trouble with short stories, because there often isn't enough for me to really sink my teeth into -- once I've gotten into the story, I turn the page and it's over. Still, these were pretty good. I'd say "House of Flowers" was my least favorite of the three, because there was a lot going on in it and the language was a bit difficult to follow, so I found my attention wavering periodically. I enjoyed the other two stories, "A Diamond Guitar" and "A Christmas Memory" more, but they didn't blow me away or anything.