rionafaith

Connie Willis
Lonely Planet: Southeast Asia on a shoestring
China Williams, Greg Bloom, Celeste Brash, Andrew Burke
Fodor's See It Thailand 2008
Fodor's Travel Publications Inc.
Dark Places - Gillian Flynn Yay, more of Gillian Flynn's completely fucked up characters! I actually felt more sorry for Libby than actively hating her, though. Sure, she's kind of a horrible and useless human being but her whole life is so pathetic that I almost had to admire her overarching selfishness.

This is one of those good, long, drawn-out mysteries, where you get a tiny tidbit of clue that then obliterates what you thought you knew about the case beforehand. Two steps forward, one steps back. I love mysteries and thrillers like that, but if you like neater stories you might not like this one. I didn't find it nearly as gripping as [b:Gone Girl|8442457|Gone Girl|Gillian Flynn|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1339602131s/8442457.jpg|13306276], though I'm not exactly sure why. I'm not sure the characters were as developed here, or maybe they just didn't read as true to me--which is kind of a strange thing to say, when the characters in [b:Gone Girl|8442457|Gone Girl|Gillian Flynn|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1339602131s/8442457.jpg|13306276] were so over the top--but sometimes I didn't buy their actions and decisions. I also found certain elements a little predictable. While this one definitely had some good twists, it wasn't a sucker punch every chapter.