rionafaith

Connie Willis
Lonely Planet: Southeast Asia on a shoestring
China Williams, Greg Bloom, Celeste Brash, Andrew Burke
Fodor's See It Thailand 2008
Fodor's Travel Publications Inc.
Crooked Little Vein - Warren Ellis This is the weirdest fucking book I have ever read. And I've read some fucking weird shit.

I'll be honest here. I started off not liking it very much, mostly because of the writing style. It just isn't very eloquent. But I had to know what crazy-ass shit Michael McGill would attract next, and before I knew it I had read the entire book in one sitting, liking it more and more with each page. Obviously the entire book is some unrealistic sadist's fantasy, but it's terribly amusing. In some ways it reminds me of a shorter, more linear Illuminatus! trilogy.

I'm fairly desensitized to kinky sex, and it took me over half the book to start saying "What the fuck? WHAT THE FUCK????" out loud every page or so, but the borderline rape saline scene probably made me more uncomfortable than anything else in the novel, just because of the lack of consent. (I think saline injection is fairly harmless in the grand scheme of unconventional sex practices.) Other than her attitude in that chapter, I thought Trix was a great pro-sex strong female character. McGill, on the other hand, is a total prude. The ending was absolutely fantastic.