rionafaith

Connie Willis
Lonely Planet: Southeast Asia on a shoestring
China Williams, Greg Bloom, Celeste Brash, Andrew Burke
Fodor's See It Thailand 2008
Fodor's Travel Publications Inc.
Infinite Jest - David Foster Wallace What do I even say about this? I've been steadily chipping away at this behemoth for two months and now it's over. I feel like I should be experiencing some kind of catharsis, but instead I'm a little like, "That's it?"

My thoughts are all jumbled and I think this one will take some digestion, so I'm just going to write a bunch of shit stream-of-consciousness style. It seems appropriate. I'm not going to put any footnotes in my review though because every other person on goodreads has done that and it's just not clever anymore.

I really struggled with how to rate this one, too. It was definitely better than just "okay", but I don't know if "I liked it" is exactly right either. It was a struggle at times. At others, I loved it and ten stars wouldn't be enough! But on the whole I felt like it was missing something. Or maybe I was missing something. I have so many unanswered questions and I don't know if I just glazed over important sections (there was definitely some spacing out at times) or if all the storylines were just supposed to stop halfway. (Like what the fuck happened to Hal between the Year of the Depend Adult Undergarment and most events of the book and his appearance back in the first chapter, which is chronologically later? Are we supposed to believe his marijuana withdrawal really had such a bad effect on him or is it something else? Can someone please explain this to me because I am confused. I'm willing to entertain spectacular off-the-wall theories as well.) It seems like this was an absolutely life-changing book for so many people, and I desperately wanted to have that experience, but sadly it just wasn't the case.

There was so much I loved about it though! Hilarious parts, insightful witticisms, heartwrenching scenes, passages so gruesome and ultraviolent that I wanted to gouge my eyes out to force myself to stop reading the offending passage... The part with Ken Erdedy and Roy Tony at the NA meeting with the whole hugging thing? I died. That is one of the most absurdly funny scenes I have ever read in my entire life. On the other hand, I may never be able to look at a broomstick again without quivering in horror. It's definitely a book that engages you and elicits emotions of all kinds--that is, when it's not being incomprehensibly tedious. I highlighted about a million quotes in my kindle, which is always a good sign.

I feel like [b:Infinite Jest|6759|Infinite Jest|David Foster Wallace|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1165604485s/6759.jpg|3271542] is one of those books that will grow on me with time and that I'd enjoy more the second time around. I don't see myself rereading it any time soon, though. Maybe in a few years.