rionafaith

Connie Willis
Lonely Planet: Southeast Asia on a shoestring
China Williams, Greg Bloom, Celeste Brash, Andrew Burke
Fodor's See It Thailand 2008
Fodor's Travel Publications Inc.
Fifty Shades Darker - E.L. James Oh, the drama! A lot more happens in this installment than in the first book. Except by "a lot happens", I'm referring more to Ana and Christian having huge blowup fights every other page rather than actual plot advancement. At one point Ana muses "Can't we ever have a normal conversation without it disintegrating into an argument?" This is what I'd like to know as well.

Yes, there are some spoilers here, but I doubt any of my friends are actually going to pick this one up so I don't really care.

Bullet point reactions for this one, because I really can't be bothered...

-Please stop wearing the same ugly-ass plum dress you stole from Kate back in the first book. Just because you got a good reaction the first time you wore it doesn't mean you should then wear the exact same dress on each of your next five dates. Who does that?

-I am so over the possessiveness and food issues. I mean, I was over them pretty much as soon as they appeared in book one (hellooooo psychological abuse!) but it gets even worse here. Seriously, the first thing out of Christian's mouth when Ana agrees to see him at the beginning of this book is "When did you last eat?" Then he forcibly drags her away from her friends even though she begs to stay. Not cool, bro.

-After Christian proposes and Ana finally says yes (seriously, we all know you don't have the backbone to turn him down, why drag out this decision?), this is an actual quote: "He's acting like he's just negotiated a major new merger or acquisition, which I suppose on one level, he has." I can't even.

-The supposed "plot twists" here are beyond laughable. The foreshadowing when Leila is lying in wait in Ana's apartment was so over the top that I literally laughed out loud when I read the line "Ethan has kindly left the front door open." OMG what a moron. That goes double for the ending, which I think is supposed to be some kind of cliffhanger? Fail.

A few more WTF-worthy quotes like last time:

"It's been five days, five days of agony that has felt like an eternity."

LOL okay. You broke up with him, Ana. This is equal parts pathetic and hilarious.

"I feel like the sun has set and not risen for five days, Ana. I'm in perpetual night here."

Christian's response to the breakup. Still LOLing.

"I don't need protecting from my own boss. He may make a pass at me, but I would say no. ... Trust him to bring up Jose. Will I ever live that down? I was drunk, for heaven's sake. I wouldn't get drunk with Jack."

Oh man, where do I even begin with this one? We've got victim-blaming, the drunk-women-are-asking-for-it trope, casual acceptance of workplace harassment... Misogyny is alive and well in E.L. James' world. I hate women who hate women.