rionafaith

Connie Willis
Lonely Planet: Southeast Asia on a shoestring
China Williams, Greg Bloom, Celeste Brash, Andrew Burke
Fodor's See It Thailand 2008
Fodor's Travel Publications Inc.
Baking: From My Home to Yours - Dorie Greenspan, Alan    Richardson This is an absolute masterpiece among baking books. Dorie is a very talented chef and writer, and her recipes are as clearly laid out as they are delicious. She includes sidebars for how to plan ahead (if a given recipe can be prepared up to a certain point and then frozen, or how long it will keep and how it should be stored), and lots of variations for many of the recipes. Ingredients, equipment needed, and yield are all clearly marked. Her anecdotes in the introductions to each recipe are heartwarming and often funny. The pictures are gorgeous and the food is styled beautifully without intimidating the average home baker into thinking the results are unattainable. I have made dozens of the recipes and have only been disappointed once - the Brown Sugar Pecan Shortbread on page 127 and I are not on speaking terms, but the rest of the recipes are excellent enough to far outweigh one bad one.

A few favorites: the chocolate chip cookies on p. 68 (these are thin, chewy, and the sugar gets almost caramelized.... so good!), sugar topped molasses spice cookies (p. 77), world peace cookies (p. 138), rugelach (p. 150 - these are the best rugelach ever, and I'm a jew from Brooklyn, so take my word for it), perfect party cake (p. 250), tarte tatin (p. 312), chocolate-crunched caramel tart (p. 355 - this is so good I can't make it anymore, because I will eat it all), and the cranberry-lime galette (p. 364 - try it as an unconventional thanksgiving dessert option).

This book is so huge and encyclopedic that even after all the dishes I've tried, I feel like I've barely made a dent. This is always one of the books I browse first whenever I feel like baking something.