rionafaith

Connie Willis
Lonely Planet: Southeast Asia on a shoestring
China Williams, Greg Bloom, Celeste Brash, Andrew Burke
Fodor's See It Thailand 2008
Fodor's Travel Publications Inc.
The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger I wound up liking this more than I expected to going in. I thought it might be too "Oprah's Book Club" for me, but it's actually a pretty smart time-travel novel. I thought the first half was fantastic, with these two characters discovering each other out of chronological order, and it showed real promise in terms of mindbendiness. (That's totally a word.) Unfortunately, it bogged down a bit after Clare and Henry meet "for the first time" in the 90's and get married. Though I always somewhat preferred Henry's character over Clare's whiny naivety, I found baby-fever Clare absolutely insufferable, especially after she complained that (I'm paraphrasing here) "Adoption isn't having a real baby, it's just pretending." I'm sorry; what?

I'm honestly pretty lukewarm about the characters and sub-plots here. At times, the dialogue was a little too clever, and most of the characters come off as smug and pretentious. The name-dropping got old pretty fast. Henry's whole timeline was executed so well, though -- no major paradoxes or plot holes immediately jumped out -- that I still really enjoyed reading this.

In short, I loved the time traveler part. The wife part, not so much.