rionafaith

Connie Willis
Lonely Planet: Southeast Asia on a shoestring
China Williams, Greg Bloom, Celeste Brash, Andrew Burke
Fodor's See It Thailand 2008
Fodor's Travel Publications Inc.
The Knife of Never Letting Go  - Patrick Ness Ugh, I hate cliffhanger endings.

My opinion of this book changed a few times as I was reading it. I absolutely loved the first half, but started to get annoyed with the main character midway through. He was just SO. DENSE. Plus, all the twists seemed over-the-top and so far-fetched as to be ridiculous (Seriously, how many mortal injuries does the villain have to sustain in order to actually die?? I was literally groaning - out loud, on the subway - every time this dude showed up again). And then that ending? Gahhhhh!!!!

On the other hand, this is a really unique novel. The premise is extremely original and well thought through, the characters are developed nicely, and the backstory is gradually teased out as you go along, without any clunky infodumps. The writing itself is actually very good, especially compared to the buttload of YA dystopias out there right now. In addition, the story has a lot to say about gender and how it relates to society, which I didn't know at all going in but pleasantly surprised me.

This one is worth a look and recommended, but be aware going in that the ending is a cliffhanger and there isn't any kind of resolution, since I know that pisses a lot of people off (myself included). I will probably pick up the sequels, but may wait a while just out of spite.

(This book does, however, have the distinction of being the first thing I read on my new Kindle Fire - thanks Overdrive! So I guess that's something.)