rionafaith

Connie Willis
Lonely Planet: Southeast Asia on a shoestring
China Williams, Greg Bloom, Celeste Brash, Andrew Burke
Fodor's See It Thailand 2008
Fodor's Travel Publications Inc.
Ready Player One - Ernest Cline This book has been all over my feed for the past month or so. It seems like everyone and their mom is reading it, so I had to see what all the fuss was about. I’m not exactly the book’s target audience – I was born in the late 80’s, so I don’t have as much of the nostalgia factor going, and I’ve never been interested in video games at all. However, I still found it really enjoyable.

There are some definite flaws here. The protagonist, Wade, is a little bit of a Marty Stu, and the supporting characters could be more developed. The head of the evil corporation IOI, Sorrento, is one of those cardboard cut-out pure evil villains, the type whose lack of humanity makes them almost laughable as characters. The writing had some weak spots, most notably the huge undisguised infodumps that popped up every chapter or so. There were also some predictable moments – I totally called Aech being a girl before it was revealed!

Despite these weak points, I thought the book was great. I had serious problems putting it down and finished the whole thing within 24 hours. It’s just a damn fun ride.