rionafaith

Connie Willis
Lonely Planet: Southeast Asia on a shoestring
China Williams, Greg Bloom, Celeste Brash, Andrew Burke
Fodor's See It Thailand 2008
Fodor's Travel Publications Inc.
A Visit from the Goon Squad - Jennifer Egan Sometimes I feel the obligation to read prizewinning or super-hyped books, but I'm often disappointed by them. This one was actually pretty awesome though. It's kind of a contemporary Bildungsroman, centering around two characters, the washed-up record exec Bennie and his former kleptomaniac assistant, Sasha. Well, former assistant, probably forever kleptomaniac. Their stories are told in a series of loose vignettes featuring a cast of wacky characters, and the chapters jump around chronologically and vary in POV and style (including the much-talked-about Powerpoint chapter, which I really enjoyed).

No one in this novel is particularly likeable, but most of them are relatable. Crazy youth --> Middle age --> Wondering "What happened to me?" is a pretty common theme that I think a lot of people can identify with. Even though I'm only in my 20's, I still appreciated the thread of change and the passing of time throughout the narrative. I especially enjoyed the slightly speculative chapters set in the near-future.