rionafaith

Connie Willis
Lonely Planet: Southeast Asia on a shoestring
China Williams, Greg Bloom, Celeste Brash, Andrew Burke
Fodor's See It Thailand 2008
Fodor's Travel Publications Inc.
A Study in Scarlet - Simon Prebble,  Arthur Conan Doyle I recently saw the first episode of the BBC series Sherlock, a modern interpretation of Arthur Conan Doyle's work. Having thoroughly enjoyed it (not to mention drooling over Benedict Cumberbatch in the title role), I realized I had never read any of these classic stories and decided to rectify that. So I started at the beginning.

Yeah, Sherlock Holmes is kind of an asshole. But he's a charismatic asshole. I really enjoyed Watson's descriptions of his eccentricities and mannerisms as they met and got to know each other. The mystery itself was slightly spoiled for me since the TV episode I saw borrowed from it heavily, but it was still good fun and highly original, with a number of twists and red herrings.

I listened to this one on audio and I think that was a good choice. The narrator, Simon Prebble, had pleasant intonation and was very British. The bonus story on my audio edition, The Adventure of the Speckled Band, was also pretty good.