rionafaith

Connie Willis
Lonely Planet: Southeast Asia on a shoestring
China Williams, Greg Bloom, Celeste Brash, Andrew Burke
Fodor's See It Thailand 2008
Fodor's Travel Publications Inc.
Stockholm: A Novel - Kian Kaul I have pretty much no idea what happened in this novel or what it was supposed to be about. I guess it's supposed to be a very near-future dystopia, but there's basically no world-building and the whole thing just seems undeveloped. The plot is either completely nonexistent or just very hard to follow -- it seems like nothing happens at all for the first two-thirds of the story, and then when all the action started it was totally unclear and I had no idea what was actually going on. Maybe the author intended for the events to be ambiguous, but I don't feel like it was executed well. I just never got into it and was bored the entire time.

I also didn't really care for the writing style. It's not bad exactly -- the sentences are grammatically correct, there's a minimum of typos -- but there are weird stylistic things that I found jarring. Again, some of this is probably intentional to illustrate the protagonist's overly-analytical thought processes and personality quirks, but it really broke the narrative flow. I don't need to read two pages of flowery descriptions of a cup of coffee (akin to a really overdone yelp review) in the middle of some dialogue.

I don't know guys, I guess I missed something with this one.