rionafaith

Connie Willis
Lonely Planet: Southeast Asia on a shoestring
China Williams, Greg Bloom, Celeste Brash, Andrew Burke
Fodor's See It Thailand 2008
Fodor's Travel Publications Inc.
Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1) - Richard K. Morgan I've been meaning to read this for ages because I keep hearing about how it's the best cyberpunk trilogy in years and tons of my goodreads friends have rated it really highly. Wow, what a let down.

There are some cool ideas here, and the plot is pretty exciting at times, but I had serious issues with this novel to the point where I was rolling my eyes every other page. To wit:

1. Protagonist is possibly the biggest Mary Sue I've ever encountered in literature. And I read [b:Ready Player One|9969571|Ready Player One|Ernest Cline|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1333576871s/9969571.jpg|14863741].

2. Inconsistent writing. At times it was clear and engrossing, at others it was terrible to the point of being distracting. I know this was Morgan's debut novel, but that's really no excuse.

3. Thinly disguised misogyny.

4. Ridiculously awkward, over-the-top sex scenes that seemed to occur every other chapter. I didn't know this was a Harlequin Romance.

Awesome concepts (cheating death and body swapping? hell yeah!), terrible execution. This was the literary equivalent of a Michael Bay movie.

I'll probably end up reading the other two, but that's only because I already have them on my Kindle. It will probably take a while for me to get to them, too.